Tuesday, December 22, 2009

sorry...not really keeping up.

Hey.

I have been slacking on the blog thing. Its funny I asked my friend Maddie to blog so I could see what was going on in her head from across the country and then I don't do the same.

The holidays make me feel the need to write. I don't do Xmas cards. Its not that I don't want to...its that I always loose peoples addresses. And then asking for them again seems silly so I just don't do it. Maybe one year, I will get my shit together and do it...the other thing is, I don't want to put that one typed out letter in it. The one that says everything that has gone on for the last year. I would rather hand write a card and leave it at that. Call me. Shit text me and I can tell you in a sentence whats going on. <3

That being said...this is whats going on.
Living in New York has been great. Its been the best move I have ever made. Hard and sometimes lonely, but really good. I never thought I would be living in this huge city. I guess I had weird feelings about living in a city I had only seen in the movies. Many movies. And people had said that New Yorker's are mean and uptight. I have found the exact opposite. The people I see here, the ones that are working hard and living for today are wonderful. They help each other with nothing in return and are kind and open. Loving even.

Getting use to not having a car. Something I had relied on for so long. My day's are planned with how much time it takes to get from one point to another point. My feet have stopped hurting (or at least I have stopped complaining about them hurting) and I know that you need to always wear layers (in all seasons) and having a good bag is important. I have to plan things out far in advance. My life was very easy in Milwaukee, I had my routes to places. I had a car to get me there. And when I am waiting for my "J" train in the morning, and the wind is killing my face I remember that I made the choice to sell my beloved Jetta. I made the right decision to sell the car. I am glad when I don't have to sit in traffic in the morning and at night to get to my job on Long Island. Its only an hour+ commute, but its opposite of the people that work in NY. The train is empty and quiet for the most part. And it gives me time to meditate and start my day with a new outlook, every day. Its peaceful. I feel peaceful.

Living with James has been great. He is an amazing partner. We have a very large apartment (by NY standards) and its very comfortable. Leon is happy. We have a sanctuary to come home to. It may not be in the best neighborhood, but I feel comfortable. And we found a market pretty close to the house that has everything we need. Target is far and we have not made the trip there yet, but we will. And we have a guest room (with no bed in it yet, but we will) for anyone that wants to come stay.

Making friends has been hard. People in our "community" are kinda clicky. I have made a couple of new girl-friends and that is nice to be able to have friends to talk with. And I have some new responsibilities, which is nice.

All in all this place is amazing. There are people here from everywhere and when you walk down the street you hear every language possible. It makes me feel like I am in the right place and when I wake up next to the love of my life every morning, I know I made the right choice.

xo
kai

No comments: