Thursday, November 27, 2008

shortest fun

Wends 11/28/08
This is going to be difficult to write. As I am on my blackberry on the train. We have been traveling now for just over 24 hours. And we are still about 2 hours from NYC. I have a splitting headache from shitty coffee and not enough water. But, its been a great time. The trip from mke to Chicago to DC last night was easy and somewhat painless. Sleeping in coach kinda blows, but we made it work. We brought lots of food and snacks so we spent very little money on food. Except the so-so breakfast this morning. I woke up and we were riding along some river in Pennsylvania. It was so so pretty. Lots of snow on the ground.

James is a super rad companion for travel. Very easy and chill. We were sharing stories and music. Its been very pleasant.

new add: 12/1/08
So I did not finish the blog on the train. My reception was bad and the emails I did send did not come through. I am back at work today and have downloaded some photos.

So we got into NYC at around seven on Thursday. Brian just happened to be coming back from the parents so he met us at Penn Station. And we all took the subway to his house on the upper west side. Super nice neighborhood. And really cute apartment. I guess its big in the New York kind of way. It was super cute and comfortable. He had made us a cute sign and had photos of us cut out and placed inside towels. He was pretty much the best host anyone could ask for. I had told him I really wanted to see the city at night from a boat or something, and go to Chinatown. We did all of that and more.

Friday: We woke early. Got dressed and headed out. Breakfast was yummy. I love that everyone uses Challa bread for the french toast. And we took the subway to Chinatown. The minute we stepped off the train, we were overpowered with people selling knock-off bags. Louie Vitton, which sounded more like ui-vitton, ui-vitton. I was gonna buy some sunglasses, but was afraid of getting angry at people for pushing shit. So i didn't. Instead i bought a shirt for my mom and some Hawaiian candy. Oh and the yummiest bubble tea, ever. lychee. yummmm.
And then we went to this really cute park to wait for RP. The park was great, lots of chinese playing some game with cards and chips...i can only assume they were gambling. And a old grandma taking a nap in her wheelchair. It was sunny and nice out.

And then we decided to walk to Gimme! coffee shop and during that time we walked through little Italy, and some of Soho. And ended up with a yummy latte at Gimme!. And then it was more walking to get some hot dogs and sit in Washington Park

(which is still under construction) and into Chelsea. It was a ton of walking but so fun. We ended up by the meat packing district. And sat by the Hudson river for awhile. My feet were killing me by then. It was so pretty though.

And then to John's pizza and had the best pizza in the city. So good. Across the street there was a place to get pedicures, so me and Brian did that. And James took off to go meet Lizz about a job at Stumptown (more about that later) and we took the train to the meeting. We also had time to stop at the biggest diesel store I had ever seen in my life. Pretty stimulating. And over-priced. All the people that worked there were assholes. And i like a scarf but it was $170 bucks!

The meeting was great. I love going to meetings in different city's. It makes me feel at home.
And then we all decided to go to the Empire States Building. It was a little cold, but so pretty at night. You could see the whole city. It was amazing.

And then to times square...which is something you have to see if you have never been to NY. its pretty amazing. I little over the top, but very cool. And then some more food. And by then we had been out on the town for 12 hours and it was time to hit the hay. I am tired all over again just writing this out. To bed we went.

Up early again, breakfast at a great diner by Brian's house. And off to the train station. By cab this time. And waited a bit and got on our train to DC. Which was an easy ride. And then to our train to Chicago. Not so easy. We just happened to get an old train with no outlets, and small bathrooms. Unlike the train there. And there were two kids behind us, the whole time. And one of them got really sick and was throwing up all night. I felt bad for her. The sound was horrible.

But all in all it was a great trip. super fast, and very very fun.
Thank you Brian for being an amazing host. And RP for making it more fun...And James for being a wonderful travel partner.



Loralu said...

I love NYC. Reading your post brought back all the memories I have there. Chinatown is the best. Once, my Chinese teacher took me to the real Chinatown. There are NO white people there (except for the cops on every corner) and no one selling ui-vitton on the streets. Tourist Chinatown is better. :)

What did the scarf look like? I will make you one. ;)

albion said...

so much fun. so little time. what do you say to flying next time?
and lets make sure that 'next time' is soon.

grace said...

I loved reading your post about NYC I am leaving for the Big Apple this Friday!! I will post my adventure also!

Captian Swan said...

i miss New York, I keep looking at your pictures, I would like to travel more- when I travel I feel so open my perspective more innocent and curious yet a deepened sense of compassion.